Sylnn Severn PSC Application

• skilled urself

• Who is your PSC vouch? Is there anyone else in alliance that you think likes you?

Loroseco Kross from PSC. Svara Eir from Half Empty kinda likes me a bit.

• Post your Killboards and your primary TZ

Sylnn Severn (main) - https://zkillboard.com/character/93736762/
      Garrick Keanan (HK/Scan alt) - https://zkillboard.com/character/2112978450/
      Kara Akiko (Another hunter) - https://zkillboard.com/character/2113446524/
      Initial DD (Nag/Sabre) - https://zkillboard.com/character/2112831635/

Im USTZ with a wife and kid, so usually after 0400 Eve Time, or squeeze some time in during the day occasionally or for important ops.

• How long have you been playing Eve and how much SP do you have?

I started eve in 2013, took a year and some change off, then came back sometime during summer 2016. My main has about 60m SP.

• Give a description of your career in Eve so far

I started dipping my toes in a wormhole after trying HS mining, and ended up joining Dreddit while they were in CalMil/HERO 1.0. I quit eve after a while, and when I came back went back to Wormholes with Catastrophic Overview Failure and started to learn PVP past simple anchor/primary that I did in TEST. Thing started to slow down for the corp and although I felt it was a good fit personality wise I went on to look for a place to settle down that was more active. I tried Waffles but it ended up being a pretty poor fit culturally and found out I didn’t particularly enjoy the massive block warfare style of gameplay. I went to lowsec to do some more solo/small gang PVP with Exodus.’s FacWar/feeder corp. Shortly after joining people also stopping logging in there, Exodus. wasn’t flying with the few that were there, and it was boiling down to just solo/plex zerging to win systems with militia. Since solo was becoming most of what I did I went and joined Wingspan. I would use the chain to find good holes to gank or camp, extort weaker corps for ISK so they could carry on krabbing. After a bit it became pretty clear why Wingspan is a meme, because no one actually cared about trying to get better or do things that wasnt ezpz content besides a few people. I didnt really fit into the “worship Chance” camp so I dropped and made my own holder corp and continued doing mostly the same thing as I was previously. A few old friends from COF had went to TEST and other places, ended up wanting to start a 2-5/NS corp so I joined them in that venture but it ended up burning everyone out so I went back to solo play. Having never lived in Nullsec I wanted to try it out so I started poking around and finding where might be a good spot. Quite a few people pointed me to SL1DE, which seemed to be a great fit because they were actively fighting a war as a part of Triumvirate, but also had a corp identity and didn’t rely on content from solely alliance ops. SL1DE has been a ton of fun since I joined, the pilots there are great and it’s some of the most fun I’ve had in Eve. After the problems with CPA and Tri happened that resulted in his leaving along with frsd, the corp decided to make a move away from the fatiguing fozzie sov gameplay and go to Northern Coalition. After giving it a try but knowing I don’t really like the large block warfare, long list of blues, and general playstyle, I decided to look around.

TLDR: I played casually in a wormhole, then with TEST for a while in facwar/HERO 1.0, quit for a year or so and joined a
      wormhole corp I liked and when it went inactive I had a hard time finding somewhere I liked while mostly playing solo. Once finding a great place they ended up joining NC. which isn’t a playstyle I enjoy much.

• Why do you want to join PSC and how did you hear of us?

I heard about PSC from Loroseco when I saw he left HK. He said he wanted to fly more small gang type stuff and was really having fun with the corp and it was a great change of pace. It interests me because I enjoy flying with a smaller group and seeing what we can manage. Skill Urself as a whole is also more of a playstyle that I find fun in Eve, for the same reasons.

• Post one or multiple small gang fits and explain why you like them.

[Osprey Navy Issue, Nosprey]

Ballistic Control System II
    Nanofiber Internal Structure II

50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
    Large Azeotropic Restrained Shield Extender
    Small Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 400
    Stasis Webifier II
    Large F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
    Warp Disruptor II

Rapid Light Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Light Missile
    Medium Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer
    Medium Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II
    Medium Hydraulic Bay Thrusters II
    Medium Rocket Fuel Cache Partition II

Acolyte II x5

A pretty standard Osprey Navy fit, it’s got great range, application, and speed. Defensive neuts and web make it adept keeping scrams from light tackle off it and retain mobility. I think three BCS is better over two because the DPS can be kind of anemic when compared to other small gang/nano ships.

[Stiletto, Stil]

IFFA Compact Damage Control
    Vigor Compact Micro Auxiliary Power Core

5MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
    Warp Scrambler II
    Warp Disruptor II
    Medium Azeotropic Restrained Shield Extender

Small Ghoul Compact Energy Nosferatu
    Auto Targeting System I
    Core Probe Launcher II /OFFLINE

Small Ionic Field Projector II
    Small Polycarbon Engine Housing II

The Stiletto is another good ship for small gang as really talented inty pilots are worth their weight in gold. I like this fit because it gives you the option to perma point, shut off other MWD ships, pre lock extra ships, and still move very quickly. Probe launcher is offlined and more of a quality of life high slot that can be used in a pinch to scan yourself out of a camp.

[Omen, Poors Omen]

Medium Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
    Damage Control II
    Heat Sink II
    Heat Sink II
    Heat Sink II

50MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
    Warp Disruptor II
    Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400

Heavy Pulse Laser II, Scorch M

Medium Ancillary Current Router I
    Medium Energy Locus Coordinator II
    Medium Energy Locus Coordinator II

Acolyte II x5
    Acolyte II x3

The Omen makes a good T1 nano small gang ship for really cheap. It’s like a scaled down ONI for about 30m insured. The cap is a bit tighter on this than an ONI, but it is impressively capable for the cost. The speed is still good at 2200 m/s+, but the tank is light so mitigating damage is still key.

• Post one or multiple killmails you significantly contributed to achieving and tell us what happened

Two Rattlesnakes

These kills were while I was out hunting in Omist. Initially I had intended to stage my main in this system as it gave complete coverage of the region, and I could jump to H-P4LB to get solid coverage of both Feythabolis and northern Omist. When I jumped in system I saw multiple Rattlesnakes on dscan, but by the time I got scans they ended up in a POS. I made a tac to see what they would do but assumed they were botters. As I was moving my other pilots around two of them at some point ended up in an Athanor that was 0.1 AU away from the POS. I left system to see if they’d come back out, and they did and followed the same procedure. Guessing they were bots and would likely follow the same routine I anchored a bubbled 300km off the Athanor and waited. After 10 minutes of watching them in the POS, two warped to the Athanor as expected, so I warped the pre-aligned Tengu ahead of them and lit the cyno, jumped my Sin as they were landing, tackled and killed them. They did end up targeting and attacking the Tengu at first, which I warped out after the first one went down, and then the Sin after.

Rattlesnake

While out looking for BLOPs content in drone regions I came across this Rattlesnake with my Tengu pilot. Quick dscan didn’t show him at any anomaly so I assumed he was running a DED. I combatted him and initiated then cancelled warp, but there was no popup for a DED site. I reinitiated warp to him at 10 and he ended up being at a Rogue Drone event site that had despawned at the overview, but was in the extra wave that had the battleship rat. I knew I couldn’t light the cyno at the site so I started bringing my Lach over that was 3j out. After ship scanning plenty of times I knew he wasn't fit with an MJD, so I had the Lach stay off and orbit with just a point while I brought the Tengu to an off grid but close tac I made on the initial warp in. I jumped the Sin in, punted it to the Rattlesnake, and killed him there.

• Can you fly any caps, which ones if yes.

Yes, Naglfar with basic skills and T2 siege.

• How many accounts can you run at the same time, do you have useful alts that can do useful things.

I’ve really only messed with doing 3 actively at a time recently, took a bit of getting used to but I found the right setup goes a long way in keeping things organized. For hunting DED runners I have my blops, tengu hk, and lachesis all going depending on the situation.

Garrick flies a tengu/prospect and that’s about it, mostly for blops HK or scanning. Kara is another toon I skilled into flying a lachesis to hunt with also. Initial DD is a nag and sabre pilot.

• What is your favorite parroto variant?
      Thinkparrot

• Anything else you wanna mention?
      I hate anime.

• skilled urself

hey man, thanks for the app!

Quick one about your tz. So 0400 is probably when we have fewest guys on, both PSC and alliance. Will this be a problem for you?

• skilled urself

Hey thanks for the App .

In a small gang situation what is your prefered ship class to fly ? ie tackle , dps , anti tackle etc .

I mainly fly intys so was looking at your stiletto fit , Im not sure you need the auto targeter as you already lock really fast and the extra targets I feel aren't needed . Additionally if you make you make your MWD an A-type you are cap stable so the nos isn't needed , finally if you RF the MSE you don't need the Power core and can fit more zoom zoom. Below is my current fit for comparison.

[Stiletto, current]

Overdrive Injector System II
    Damage Control II

Warp Scrambler II
    Warp Disruptor II
    Coreli A-Type 5MN Microwarpdrive
    Republic Fleet Medium Shield Extender

[Empty High slot]
    [Empty High slot]
    [Empty High slot]

• skilled urself

@trouble-gum said in Sylnn Severn PSC Application:

hey man, thanks for the app!

Quick one about your tz. So 0400 is probably when we have fewest guys on, both PSC and alliance. Will this be a problem for you?

I am aware that the corp and alliance are both primarily EU. With the way things are, most of Eve is :P I'm not overly worried about it though as a short list of blues and never having relied on spoon fed content keeps be pretty busy for the most part. If anything's been proven recently it's that a small group can create significant chaos.

@angus-sinulf said in Sylnn Severn PSC Application:

Hey thanks for the App .

In a small gang situation what is your prefered ship class to fly ? ie tackle , dps , anti tackle etc .

I mainly fly intys so was looking at your stiletto fit , Im not sure you need the auto targeter as you already lock really fast and the extra targets I feel aren't needed . Additionally if you make you make your MWD an A-type you are cap stable so the nos isn't needed , finally if you RF the MSE you don't need the Power core and can fit more zoom zoom. Below is my current fit for comparison.

[Stiletto, current]

Overdrive Injector System II
    Damage Control II

Warp Scrambler II
    Warp Disruptor II
    Coreli A-Type 5MN Microwarpdrive
    Republic Fleet Medium Shield Extender

[Empty High slot]
    [Empty High slot]
    [Empty High slot]

I've been flying a lot of solo, and more recently dipping my toes into fleet fights. For small gang I like flying tackle and DPS, but I'm pretty eager to fly a variety of ships and play with different roles. The fit you linked is definitely an upgrade. I figured I would keep the fits simple and cheap but as a preference I prefer to spend a little more on ships that scale well, especially in a smaller gang or solo where the differences can be quite significant.

• skilled urself

Would you vote Capqu for CSM?

• skilled urself

Hi, I heard you like to do solo blopsing. Can you link some frags you think are nice?

Also, how would you go about getting the skills to use one of these: Archon, Thanatos or Apostle and how much time would it take?

The 04:00 eve thing really worries me, I fear you will miss out on most alliance activities and that could be frustrating to you, but you could be used to that. skill urself is not exactly incompatible to people with busy IRL lifestyles.That being said, quite a few of us are no-life nerds, and I feel like the people who could play all day potentially could get the most enjoyment out of being a member.

• skilled urself

@dexter-xio said in Sylnn Severn PSC Application:

Would you vote Capqu for CSM?

I might have to put him second after the honorable Mr. Steve Ronuken. I believe since there is an overwhelming number of players in High Security class space (0.5 and above) they should really get some solid representation and development attention to retain them. Also with the incoming wave of alpha pilots (soonTM) they need to have a good experience to stay around and become meta players of the future!

@nonztop said in Sylnn Severn PSC Application:

Hi, I heard you like to do solo blopsing. Can you link some frags you think are nice?

Also, how would you go about getting the skills to use one of these: Archon, Thanatos or Apostle and how much time would it take?

The 04:00 eve thing really worries me, I fear you will miss out on most alliance activities and that could be frustrating to you, but you could be used to that. skill urself is not exactly incompatible to people with busy IRL lifestyles.That being said, quite a few of us are no-life nerds, and I feel like the people who could play all day potentially could get the most enjoyment out of being a member.

I do really enjoy solo blopsing. It works with my play time, it's satisfying when done well, has a whole strategy of mind games on top of just in game mechanics, and decent isk off drops doesnt hurt either. In addition to the two kills in my app, Here is another kill that was really satisfying. I had ran into this pilot a few times, and he would always warp to different safes and then a citadel, and proceed to chest beat and talk shit in local. One of the times I ran into him he decided to get ballsy, and warped to the sun. I tackled him with my Tengu and ended up not being able to hold him enough to light a cyno and still have him, but kept him engaged by bleeding shields and warping off a few times with the Tengu while I had a friend with a ceptor burn over. Eventually the ceptor pointed him while I was keeping him engaged, I warped off grid, brought the sin in, and ended up killing him. Not truly solo as I brought a friend with a ceptor, but was a gratifying kill. Another kill of a Rattlesnake that was running a DED, and using the Lach to push into the site and hold him until I lit a cyno off grid with the Tengu and gated the Sin through.

As far as skilling into one of those caps, I'd either slow train or inject it depending on actual use or importance to get one.

I suppose I'm not as worried about the TZ concern as most would be because I've generally always only played with a few people at most. Timers and ops outside of that 0400+ window aren't impossible for me to make when needed, but its generally not my usual play time. No life nerding Eve is always going to yeild more potential for enjoyment I think, but I don't think it's difficult to get enjoyment or results equal to the effort you but in either.

• skilled urself

if you were online at 0400 and no one had done anything all day because they tilted and went to play PUBG or DOTA what would you do with your playtime? Play another game? solo blops? gather a roam? bash a structure?

• skilled urself

Hey, good writte-up. Reading your story and looking at the fits it looks to me like you're not really a nano gang guy in general (yet?).

Your stiletto is reasonable as a cheap fit, it has an advantage over @Angus-Sinulf 's fit with the nos that is pretty much mandatory to tackle pvp fit battleships, of course stuff is upgradable.

Your Osprey Navy fit is old tbh, it's still a good fit but most pilots now use XLASB fits because of the massive tank increase it gives you and also at least 2 speed mods because the ship is to slow and clumsy with just one.

Have you flawn that Omen? It looks more like a cheesy fit for low sec tbh, works if you take advantage of AB and plated ships but needs to insta leave to a single flight of light drones. If I were to use an Omen in null I'd personnaly go focused med beams, med cap booster and more tank. The tracking can be solved with piloting and at least you can actually rep and shoot for the duration of the ancil.

Is nano-gang something you're interested in or will Blops and pinged ops in general be your main focus? I think that there is nothing wrong with that and especially since as I understand you're fine for creating your own content when you're playing in our low activity TZ, just would like to clarify that point.

Also can you fly arti loki and purifier?

• skilled urself

@orontes-ovasi said in Sylnn Severn PSC Application:

if you were online at 0400 and no one had done anything all day because they tilted and went to play PUBG or DOTA what would you do with your playtime? Play another game? solo blops? gather a roam? bash a structure?

Eve is pretty much what I play. Ill play some other games occasionally but really not any substantial time. If anyone's on I'd most likely get with them and see if they wanted to go roam or poke something. If there's timers to be made or strategic things that need to be done I'm all for that as well. Given there's not much coverage in Skillu or DRF in USTZ I'm sure there's things that I can take on to help out. Solo/group blops is fun but there's not always content available for that either and I've found trying too hard to make some leads to feeding or shitty situations.

@methea-selenis said in Sylnn Severn PSC Application:

Hey, good writte-up. Reading your story and looking at the fits it looks to me like you're not really a nano gang guy in general (yet?).

Your stiletto is reasonable as a cheap fit, it has an advantage over @Angus-Sinulf 's fit with the nos that is pretty much mandatory to tackle pvp fit battleships, of course stuff is upgradable.

Your Osprey Navy fit is old tbh, it's still a good fit but most pilots now use XLASB fits because of the massive tank increase it gives you and also at least 2 speed mods because the ship is to slow and clumsy with just one.

Have you flawn that Omen? It looks more like a cheesy fit for low sec tbh, works if you take advantage of AB and plated ships but needs to insta leave to a single flight of light drones. If I were to use an Omen in null I'd personnaly go focused med beams, med cap booster and more tank. The tracking can be solved with piloting and at least you can actually rep and shoot for the duration of the ancil.

Is nano-gang something you're interested in or will Blops and pinged ops in general be your main focus? I think that there is nothing wrong with that and especially since as I understand you're fine for creating your own content when you're playing in our low activity TZ, just would like to clarify that point.

Also can you fly arti loki and purifier?

Thanks. I'm not a deeply experienced nano gang pilot, but it's not for lack of enjoyment as much as it is I usually just haven't been in a spot where there's a group to fly with. SL1DE provided some of that opportunity but given what we were doing, oppression dropping people using cloaky campers tended to be what we did in USTZ more often than not. I guess it's best put simply as small gang is something I want to do a lot more of when possible, and blops is how I've kept busy without really needing anyone to fly with.

I haven't flown the Omen, but I wanted to have some variety in fits instead of just putting up cookie cutter ones. Its got drawbacks for sure like you mentioned with range and tank. I'm not above listening to people that know what they're doing with more experience, especially for something like the Osprey Navy if switching up the tank and allowing for another speed mod is more effective.

No problems flying arty Loki or Purifier.

• skilled urself

Hey dude,

I was looking forward to your app after Loroseco mentioned you were looking to join. It'll be sweet to have another blops hunter around. I know you mentioned you're no stranger to solo hunting, but seeing as this is a mostly small gang oriented corp, do you see yourself actively seeking fights/roaming on your own if no one else is around? Being able to log in and have other guys active and roaming A+ and promotes what I think is a very healthy and active corp.

• @dokii-dokii said in Sylnn Severn PSC Application:

Hey dude,

I was looking forward to your app after Loroseco mentioned you were looking to join. It'll be sweet to have another blops hunter around. I know you mentioned you're no stranger to solo hunting, but seeing as this is a mostly small gang oriented corp, do you see yourself actively seeking fights/roaming on your own if no one else is around? Being able to log in and have other guys active and roaming A+ and promotes what I think is a very healthy and active corp.

Hey! Nice to see you in a capacity other than worrying about getting caught by V0LTA haha. I definitely want to do more non-blops roaming. Part of why it's been primarily blops is because it's kind of a self contained setup where I don't have multiple ships, fits, and people around. I think a lot of the same skills for hunting are used for general roaming, but you get a way wider engagement selection. Running into a small roaming gang of 3-4 guys while a blops is your only ship isn't the ideal engagement, but having either friends or the ability to reship really opens things up. Agreed that having many people creating content is crucial so it doesn't end up in the kinda gross "there's no fleet guess I'm not playing" mentality that a lot of people slip into.

• skilled urself

Above post was me, but apparently wasn't logged in on my phone when replying.

• skilled urself

Can you explain some of your tengu losses and if you learned anything from them?

• skilled urself

@ailra-rai said in Sylnn Severn PSC Application:

Can you explain some of your tengu losses and if you learned anything from them?

Sure thing. This was a result of IRL aggro where I had to drop eve asap and leave PC while I was gating around. Came back and was already getting attacked so kind of sat there and activated tank. Shitty, but priorities. This was the result of a bug where my gatecloak only lasted 32 seconds. I jumped a gate, tabbed over to another client to do some things and heard the shield alarms going off. Sent the logs to CCP with a petition and they reimbursed.

Here's a loss where I was being stupid and paid for it. I was over eager from hunting and not really seeing anything so I decided to go after an Ishtar that seemed to be AFK anom ratting. Killboard wasnt terribly suspect, but I ended up getting pointed by him and then other ships warped in to help hold tackle. I could have lit cyno and brought Sin in, but I decided against. It would have pretty easily tanked what was on grid, but having been baited already it felt stupid to risk a ship much more expensive that the Tengu if they had more in route of available.

This loss was a failure in multiboxing. The Barghest was trying to bait me out by belt ratting after I had been in the region for quite a while. I knew from KB and being a belt ratting Barghest that he was more than likely going to be PVP fit. I had just spun up my Lachesis alt and was eager to play with it, test out the things I could do, and get more experience triple boxing. I warped the lack to him at range and tackled him, after keeping away from him and easily tanking I warped the tengu in off him after getting him to chase the Lach. Plan was to get a few scans off on him to see if it was something worth dropping the sin on, or being capable of doing so. While trying to manage both ships, I had accidentally approach him with the Tengu and he burned right for it and go tackle quickly. I warped the Lach out to a safe and cloaked it up and switched focus to the Tengu. There was a cyno sabre waiting next door and as soon as he secured tackle it warped in, lit cyno, and they dropped 3 supers and a rorqual in. Luckily sabre was bad, and pod got out.

Of the things I've learned from the losses the primary is to not be overly trigger happy and try to engage when it doesn't make sense, just because I want a kill. Like I mentioned in an earlier response, BLOPS is fun but something that becomes counter productive to me if I'm trying to force a situation. I've also made improvements in managing more than two clients and keeping track of whats where, what needs to happen, ect. The learning curve from 1 to 2 wasn't really bad, but from 2 to 3 clients was a bit of a headache at first. I found that making a mental checklist and procedure of always flipping through clients and making adjustments helped me avoid tunnel vision.

• skilled urself

What's your biggest weakness in terms of small gang pvp and how do you plan to overcome this?

• skilled urself

@trouble-gum said in Sylnn Severn PSC Application:

What's your biggest weakness in terms of small gang pvp and how do you plan to overcome this?

I think as most have pointed out it would be lack of experience. I'd address it by Hopping in fleets, flying different roles, and talking with people about different kind of tactics and piloting. I like to think I'm fairly competent in Eve and have a good understanding of things, but there's also stuff I don't know a ton about, and don't take issue to trying to figure it out or let people help me along.

• skilled urself

Seems good for trial.

Make sure you ask around for fits for the small gang stuff if you need any help.

Looks like your connection to skill urself was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.